Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cystic Fibrosis: What should be something ugly, God has made beautiful

For those of you who know me, you know that I was born with Cystic Fibrosis (CF). CF is a genetic disorder that affects the lungs and digestive system, creating abnormally thick mucus. The thick mucus causes inflammation in the lungs, infection, and eventually lung damage. It also causes digestive complications, making it hard to absorb the proper nutrients causing difficulty in weight gain. It requires constant treatment and there is currently no cure. The average life expectancy is about 40 years for someone born in 1990 (the year I was born). But there are people who live longer too of course. I am just trusting that as long as I do my part to take care of myself, God will have me here on this earth for as long as He needs me to be here. There is an incredible freedom that comes with fixing your eyes upon Jesus! ("You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you..." Isaiah 26:3).
These are some of my favorite verses that I want to share:

"Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health my fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever." Psalm 73:25-26

"To all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair." Isaiah 61:3

"'My grace is all you need, My power works best in weakness.' So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me...When I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-10


This will be an account of my health stories and how God has and will continue to bring beauty from my ashes. God did not promise that this world would be easy or that He would spare us from hardships, but He did promise to walk by our side through every minute of everyday. Through the storms and the fire, He promised to carry us through in His arms, just as a Father would his child, and that's just what He has done in my life. (See Deuteronomy 31:6, Isaiah 43:2 and John 16:33). He is our Abba Father, Prince of Peace and Sovereign God.

No comments:

Post a Comment