Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A quick update from my first year at college: I have not known true peace before this

I would not hesitate to say that the past year has been the most challenging for me health-wise. A year ago I was just starting my freshman year at Biola University. The first year in college was some of the hardest months of my life emotionally, spiritually and physically. It's funny though, before I started school God gave me a verse over and over again and I knew that it was an important one. Isaiah 43:18-19 says "But forget all that - it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Don't you see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland." I will return to this again later on to show how perfectly God answered this promise.

Toward the end of October 2008 I started my 8th round of IV antibiotics (2nd time using my port). I have been taking them every four months now for preventative maintenance. It was good timing to be due for my next round of IV meds, because I wasn't feeling too super. The day that I started them I coughed up some blood and I just assumed I had an infection going and this was perfect timing to start my antibiotics. I was originally supposed to be on them for 3 weeks. But the day before the third week was supposed to be over I coughed up more blood. I called the doctor and he said to go for one more week just to make sure that the infection was taken care of. So I went one more week. I finished on thanksgiving; I was very thankful needless to say. However, the following monday, I coughed up more blood! I had coughed up blood in the past, but never before this frequent. I called the dr. and made an appointment for the following week. Meanwhile during the week I had of waiting, each day I began feeling worse and worse. By the end of the week I felt more sick than I had before I had even started my IV antibiotics. I don't think I had ever felt worse actually. I was also dealing with a lot of things in my walk with God, a lot of joylessness. The day before my next dr. appointment God did some awesome things and intervened in that area. This was so amazing, because although I had no idea what was in store for me at the doctor, God did and restored my joy and trust in Him that night before.
The following day at the dr. I found out that my lung function had gone down lower than it had ever been - it was around 41% of normal. They said that they would give me a week to do as many treatments as I could and then they would decide whether I should be hospitalized or not. I had never been hospitalized before and didn't really desire to be any time soon. On car ride home from the doctor I began pouring our all my fears and unceratinties to God in prayer. As I did I felt God's presence there with me in that car - I have never known peace before that moment.
That next week should have been the hardest week of the entire semester; I felt very sick, I faced having to be hospitalized and missing my family Christmas get together, and final were just a week away. With all these things considered I should have been a wreck, but in all honesty, that week was the best week of my entire semester- year probably! The reason: I felt near to God, my eyes were fixed on His glory and faithfulness, and He gave me the type of peace and joy that this world cannot give. It was ridiculous joy!
In returning to the dr. I found out that I would not have to go into the hospital (praise God!) becuase I had Allergic Broncho Pulmonary Aspergillosis. Or an allergic reaction to a fungus. This was to be treated with steriods (Prednisone and Itraconazole) and therefore would not benefit much from a hospital stay. And so my adventure with steroids began!
Going back to the Bible verse from Isaiah that I mentioned before. That first semester was without a doubt extremely hard. I was in the depths of the wilderness and dry wasteland, but God faithfully provided a pathway through that wilderness and a river through the dry wasteland. He is my Deliverer and Sustainer, My Prince of Peace (and now I finally know the depth behind that title). Every time I am reminded of that time I can't help but be in awe of my awesome Creator! Once again...Beauty from Ashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment